When the Lord made this promise to His people they were getting ready to go through the darkest days in their history. Nebuchadnezzar and the Babylonians were on the verge of sacking the city of Jerusalem and carting it’s people into captivity.The Lord is going to allow devastation and misery in order to capture again the hearts of His people. Their hearts were far from God.
It is often in the darkest days of our lives that we learn some things that God could not teach us any other way. We learn that…
- when life is out of our control, God is still in control
- we are helpless and must be helplessly dependent upon God
- even when we are far away from God, He longs to draw us near
- our sin is often the cause of our troubles, but that God is gracious and willing to forgive
- the Lord delights in hearts that hunger to know Him and not in people who just want His blessings
It is in the midst of the darkness that we learn to call upon Him. And then as we do so, it is the midst of the darkness that we see how magnificent is the light of the glory of God as He answers and reveals Himself to us in ways that we have never seen before.
Why this BRICK is foundational: God is longing for His people to call upon Him. But we have sought blessings more from this world than from Him. He will do whatever it takes to win back our hearts. So when you find yourself going through dark times, never forget that the Lord even then is at work in your life.